Giving Stocks and Securities

Gifts of stock are a smart way to help support our mission while also receiving great tax benefits. As long as you have held the stock for more than twelve months you can deduct its full fair-market value at the time of your gift, regardless of how much you paid for it. You also have the chance to reduce or compeltely eliminate your capital gains taxes. The HCHSAA accepts gifts of stocks or securities and sells them upon receipt. The revenue is treated like cash donations.

Electronic Transfer

If your stock is held in a brokerage account your broker can transfer your gift electronically. Instruct your broker to transfer the securities to:

Hunter College High School Alumnae/i Assn. Inc.
Schwab Account #: 5161-3082
DTC #: 0164

Electronic transfers are made without identifying the donor, so when you make the transfer, please call or email our office to let us know about the stock and number of shares. You can do so at or by calling 212-772-4079. For other questions about gifts of securities please contact Lorna Malcolm (

Physical Delivery

If you hold the securities, mail or hand deliver the certificate(s) without any endorsement or assignment to

Hunter College High School Alumnae/i Association
Hunter College East, Room 1313B
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10065

In a separate envelope, mail or deliver a signed stock power form for each gift — except for your signature, the stock power form should be blank — and gift letter. The gift letter should state your intention to make a gift of the securities to HCHSAA. You can obtain a stock power form from your bank or broker. Please sign the stock power exactly as your name appears on the stock certificate. 

According to IRS regulations, the date of your gift corresponds to the date it arrives in our possession (from brokerage account to brokerage account).